Photoshop is Adobe's photo editing, image creation and graphic design software.
The software provides many image editing features for raster (pixel-based) images as well as vector graphics. It uses a layer-based editing system that enables image creation and altering with multiple overlays that support transparency. Layers can also act as masks or filters, altering underlying colors. Shadows and other effects can be added to the layers. Photoshop actions include automation features to reduce the need for repetitive tasks. An option known as Photoshop CC (Creative Cloud) allows users to work on content from any computer.
Photoshop been the industry standard image manipulation program for so long that its name has become a verb: It is common parlance to say that an image has been “photoshopped” or even just “shopped.” Shopped, in this context, is synonymous with edited, manipulated or faked — often regardless of the software actually used.
Photoshop is used by photographers, graphic designers, video game artists, advertising and meme designers. The software is available for a monthly fee, at this writing between $9.99 and $49.99 depending on the user’s requirements and options selected. Photoshop CC is compatible with Intel-based Mac computers and Windows PCs.
Open source alternatives to Photoshop include GIMP, a similar but free image editor that works on Mac, Windows and Linux.
Applications of Photoshop
- Adobe Photoshop is used for e-commerce websites and online shopping portals. These portals use the application to edit their product and branding images. We can also design maps, environment views, image showcases, satellite views. These are commonly used in gaming apps.
- Flyers, book cover designs, business cards and other materials for marketing and publicity can also be designed in Photoshop.
- Website layouts, website logos, and other pages used on the website can also be designed with this program.
- UI and UX can also be designed using Photoshop. The interior and exterior photos and architectural visualizations can also be achieved using Photoshop.
- Product packing designs and 3D mockups can be created in Photoshop.
- Adobe Photoshop offers a wide range of tools that have the capability to edit or design anything. The software is upgraded so much that it is not only used for images only. The program can also be used to work on video content and edit them with great efficiency. It is the best platform that supports a robust set of tools for video editing.
- Photoshop allows the editing of all popular and available image file formats without requiring any extra plugin.
- Numerous small changes can be made to an image, such as alter skin tone, fine-tune the brightness, red-eye removal, retouching, and other modifications that can be done with great ease in Photoshop.
- The learning curve of Photoshop is steeper for freshers.
- Small-time users and beginners may find Photoshop a bit expensive.